Chew Over the Foods that can Cause or Curb Stained Teeth
Get a taste of how your daily diet can affect the look of your smile. Dentists say that the foods and drinks you choose are just as important to your dental health as regular brushing and flossing. Learn what you should eat to keep your teeth their best and brightest.
Come Out of the Dark about the Foods that Prevent Stained Teeth
For a whiter smile, it’s a bright idea to eat a balanced, healthy diet. Eating foods that contain a wide variety of nutrients can help you stay healthy from your teeth to your toes. To keep your smile white, add these foods and drinks to your daily diet:
- Water – In addition to being the best way to quench your thirst, it’s the smartest way to avoid stained teeth. See, water rinses away the sugars, acids, and hidden food particles that can wear away enamel and result in tooth discoloration.
- Sugar-Free Drinks – If plain water won’t do, then opt for sugar-free drinks since they also rinse away the substances that can attack your teeth over time.
- Fish and Flax Seeds –These choices are full of omega-3 fatty acids, which are the strongest anti-inflammatory nutrients. And foods that reduce inflammation may protect you from gum disease.
- Cocoa – Research shows that cocoa can also lessen inflammation, while protecting you from tooth decay and enamel erosion.
- Cheeses and Milk – Along with neutralizing acids in the mouth by increasing your saliva flow, all of the protein and calcium in these dairy sources can strengthen teeth and prevent the erosion of their white enamel.
See the Light on which Foods Cause the Discoloration of Teeth
Too many people are in the dark about the clear link between your diet and the discoloration of teeth. Eating the wrong foods can destroy your tooth enamel and leave you with darker, stained teeth. To maintain the brightest smile, stay away from these dental dangers:
- Sweets – Most candies and gums are all sugar, which can attack teeth and remove their white enamel.
- Starchy Foods – Starchy items like white breads, rice, potatoes, pastas, and cereals are full of sneaky sugars that can deplete tooth enamel.
- Sugary Beverages – Sugary drinks such as carbonated beverages, fruit juices, and sports drinks are brimming with simple sugars and acids that can eat away at enamel, which makes teeth appear much darker.
- Darker Drinks – Drinking dark beverages like coffee, tea, and red wine will almost always cause tooth discoloration, as well as weaken tooth enamel due to their harmful acids.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in New Baltimore, call Gentle Dental of New Baltimore today at (586) 933-5521 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in New Baltimore. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Michigan, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of New Baltimore, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of New Baltimore.