Give Cavities the Boot – Preventing Tooth Decay
The condition of your mouth reflects your general health. If you’re not taking care of your teeth by maintaining a good oral hygiene routine and getting regular dental care from an affordable dentist, you could be setting the stage for tooth decay, cavities, and gum disease. Fortunately, cavity prevention only requires a little knowledge and a few tools that you can find at any drugstore.
What Causes Tooth Decay and Cavities?
The bacteria inside your mouth help to digest food. But the bacteria also generate acids that damage teeth and eventually cause tooth decay and cavities. When a cavity becomes deep enough to expose a tooth’s nerve, it’s painful, and treatments to correct the problem become more invasive.
Cavity Prevention: A Checklist for Success
The most important step in preventing tooth decay and cavities is committing to a comprehensive dental care routine. Here’s everything you’ll need to do:
- Start with a quality toothbrush that reaches all surfaces of your teeth, and brush at least twice daily.
- If it’s not built into your toothbrush, buy a tongue scraper; this helps remove bacteria from your tongue.
- Choose a toothpaste accepted by the American Dental Association. Varieties are available to address specific concerns such as sensitivity, teeth whitening, and tartar control. Consult your dental hygienist or dentist in New Baltimore for recommendations.
- Flossing is just as important as brushing. Find a dental floss that you can use comfortably, and floss at least once every day.
- Your final step is to use a mouth rinse. A therapeutic rinse kills oral bacteria and freshens your breath. If your mouth is sensitive, consider an alcohol-free variety.
Treat Cavities Early for the Best Results
It’s never too late to take better care of your teeth. If cavities have already started to form, seek treatment immediately to correct problems before they get worse. Your dentist can work with you to formulate a dental care plan that will restore your smile to its original glory.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in New Baltimore, call Gentle Dental of New Baltimore today at (586) 933-5521 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in New Baltimore. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Michigan, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of New Baltimore, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of New Baltimore.